March 1-8, 2015, Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany
In the framework of MetaBody (www.metabody.eu).
This conference concerned the development and implementation of tools of interactive technology for different(ly abled) bodies, challenging the notion of ability/disability and considering all bodies as different(ly abled), while specifically paying attention to bodies that are usually considered disabled and affording them new tools of expression in which their difference acquires a positive value.
In the context of
- new tools for understanding and raising an awareness of cultural diversity, and
- tools for fostering embodied communication for a sustainable culture
- How can we remove barriers to expression?
- How can we promote a more positive awareness of difference?
- What are the cultural differences in the perception of difference? How do these differences relate to acceptance and integration (inclusion)? How do different societies (including governmental and non-governmental organizations) approach inclusion?
- What if the language of gestures and movements could either overcome the obstacles of spoken language or even create new languages in which all kinds of bodies with diverse abilities, (some of them labeled “disabled”) could communicate?
The conference included workshops, demonstrations and paper presentations.